Helpful Hints for Couples
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance.
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance. Teaching couples is different from teaching individuals and requires special care.
Teachers are trained to make learning fun and easy, and you can help by remembering the following:
- Let your teacher do the teaching. This means avoid finding fault with each other which can be distracting.
- It’s not how many steps you know; it’s how you execute them. (You always notice good dancers by how they move, not by how many patterns they do.) Learning too many steps too soon results in bad habits and frustration at not executing them properly.
- In teaching couples, we have learned that men typically progress slower because they have more to do and tend to be more analytical or mechanical. Women, on the other hand, feel movement quicker and therefore, THE LADY MUST TRY TO BE PATIENT AND NOT EXPECT TOO MUCH TOO SOON.
- It’s important to keep your lessons close together, and more importantly to use them in close conjunction with group lessons and practice lessons. Ideally, each visit should be scheduled to include more than one activity. This will aid you in making speedy progress and gaining confidence in your dancing in a shorter period of time.
- Communicate with your teacher so that he or she will know what to teach you and the way you like to be taught. The more we know about your dance needs the better we can plan your lessons now and prepare your future program.
Reviews & Testimonials
Don’t just take our word. See what others have to say about us!
TL;DR: Highly recommended! We're learning and having fun. It doesn't get better than that.
My fiance and I have had an outstanding experience taking private lessons with Sho. He keeps a... read moreLea Hughes
We were gifted a dance lesson package and had a blast!Lovely people. Great instructors. Had a real "family" vibe.If you are looking to study ballroom dancing and beyond,... read moreJoshua M.
The staff is amazing! All instructors are very nice and make you feel at home right away, almost family like. Jessica was my instructor and she was great.... read moreEstevan F.
I walked into Arthur Murray Sherman Oaks in January 2019. I was desperate to get better. I had depression and anxiety from losing the love of my life to a... read moreTeresa M.
If you look for it, you may locate my post when I had just begun my dance lessons at Arthur Murray Sherman Oaks. I have now completed a few... read moreDoc G.
Arthur Murray Sherman Oaks has literally saved my life. I was going through a painful divorce and am a breast cancer survivor. Being a breast cancer suvivor and thrivor I... read moreLisa L.
I always wanted to learn to dance, but I felt self conscious even starting lessons because I had only danced where the floor was too crowded to move much so... read moreGary Golden
Returned to dance after 3 years, and I chose the right studio to continue my journey. From the first phone call I felt welcomed and valued. The entire... read moreDonna Esposito
AMSO is the best! As a newcomer to the dance world, I could not ask for a more welcoming, encouraging and above all FUN!!! studio to learn at. ... read moreSarah Colman Hayes
This is a great studio, with fantastic and totally dedicated instructors and coaches, excellent management by Tom, and an extremely conscientious great leadership of the franchise Martin. Thanks to my... read morealeve ates
I love this studio!!!! The moment you walk in the door you’re greeted with a genuine warmth and friendliness that make you feel at ease. Everyone is helpful from the... read moreRocio Ortiz
No matter what level you are at, you will always have fun! All the instructors, especially Alex, are amazing, and everyone has a good time at the "parties." The place... read moreSaemy S.